Date:
Tue Mar 18 10:46:51 2008
------------ EH.NET BOOK REVIEW --------------
Published by EH.NET (March 2008)

J.E. King, editor, _A Biographical Dictionary of Australian and New
Zealand Economists_. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar, 2007. xix + 337
pp. $170/?85 (hardcover), ISBN: 978-1-84542-869-3.

Reviewed for EH.NET by Steven Kates, Department of Economics, Finance
and Marketing, RMIT University, Melbourne.

In spite of what you might think, this is not just a reference book,
wonderful though it is as a reference book, but a book to be read
through from cover to cover with immense pleasure and much profit.

It is self-described as "a biographical _dictionary_." Dictionaries
are not meant to be read through but consulted when needs be. I
therefore adopted the strategy of beginning with just those
economists I had personally known and working my way out from there.

In editing this dictionary, John King, Professor of Economics at La
Trobe University in Melbourne, determined that only those who are no
longer among us should be included -- a wise decision. Life is too
short to be worried about all of us remaining economists, many of
whom would no doubt have deeply resented not having been included. In
making the decision he did, King ensured that no one alive would have
grounds for serious complaint about their exclusion nor would they be
in any hurry to make it into the second edition.

There were, as it turned out, quite a considerable number of
economists I had known included in the text. And the more I read the
more astonished I became at how little I had really known about any
of them, yet how rich and varied their lives had been. And as I read
on I found that I was no longer skipping past any of the entries to
get to the next one among my past associations but would just go on
to read each entry in sequence. And it was thus that I spent a
brilliant Sunday afternoon reading through the entire lot.

What we have are short vignettes on 130 economists with some
connection with Australia or New Zealand. Some were born, lived and
died down under, some passed through briefly on their way elsewhere,
and still others arrived from somewhere else to make their homes in
the antipodes.

Some were professional economists typically associated with
universities, while others were amateurs with enough of an influence
on economic questions in their own times to keep their names alive
among economists. Some had brilliant international reputations, while
others are remembered now only because of how deranged their views
were seen to be. Some appeared to lead quiet, sedentary lives while
others appear to have lived the life of an Indiana Jones.

But what gives the book its excellence is the way in which the
entries are written. Most have been put together by those with an
obvious affection for their subjects. There is fulsome recognition of
the achievements of each of the economists examined. And at the end
of each entry, which range from just over a page to six pages in
length, we know quite a bit about who they were as distinct
individuals and something about their contributions to economics
within Australia and New Zealand.

Moreover, the balance between their personal stories and their
contributions to economics is for me just right. The aim surely is
about describing who each of these economists were as people, not
their contributions to the economic literature. For that, one may
turn to libraries and journals. What we have here are attempts to
capture their personal lives, quirky and individual as they might be,
which is what a biographical dictionary is truly for.

And should one want to know more about any of the economists
discussed or about their work, there is a quite comprehensive
bibliography at the end of each entry provided a listing of their
most important writings and further sources on the life histories
that may be found elsewhere.

Also welcome is the subtle, probably unintended, pitch made for
economic history and the history of economics as vehicles for
learning the economist's trade. With both areas of economics under
siege at the moment, I might just quote from one such entry as a
reminder that these are ways in which the subject matter of economics
can be learned. Of one economist, it was said that his: "early
training in law and in the historical dimensions of economics can be
said to have laid solid intellectual foundations for his ability to
make clear and insightful policy responses to the visible
requirements of war finance, intergovernmental financial relations
and policies for recovery from depression." This is a reminder that
delving into "the historical dimensions of economics" is one of the
ways economists can and do learn their craft.

If I have a criticism it is this, minor though it may be. I have my
misgivings whether any of the 130 economists listed should be
described as "the greatest economist ever to have lived, worked and
died in Australia" (Trevor Swan as it happens) or as said of another,
"that he was the most significant Australian figure in economics
before 1950, both nationally and internationally" (in this case L.F.
Giblin). These judgements may well be true, but how do we know? These
were the only statements in the entire volume that looked out beyond
their own entries to make comparisons with others and to stake claims
for their subjects which were not factually based.

Lastly, although many of the 130 economists lived active lives, there
is no one to match our Bill Phillips, the inventor of the Phillips
Curve and builder of the fabled Moniac (and if it comes to that, my
own nominee for the most influential economist ever to have been
born, lived and died in this part of the world). And what an amazing
life! John Nash, beautiful mind or not, is as nothing in comparison
with Phillips. If someone wants to make the most gripping imaginable
film about an economist, Phillips is the one. If you don't believe
me, just read his entry, just read his entry for yourself.

Steven Kates lectures in economics at the RMIT University in
Melbourne. He is about to publish, in the winter edition of the
_History of Economics Review_, a previously unpublished and
undocumented letter from Keynes to the American economist, Harlan
Linneus McCracken, titled: "A Letter from Keynes to Harlan McCracken
dated 31st August 1933: Why the Standard Story on the Origins of the
_General Theory_ Needs to be Rewritten."

Copyright (c) 2008 by EH.Net. All rights reserved. This work may be
copied for non-profit educational uses if proper credit is given to
the author and the list. For other permission, please contact the
EH.Net Administrator ([log in to unmask]; Telephone: 513-529-2229).
Published by EH.Net (March 2008). All EH.Net reviews are archived at
http://www.eh.net/BookReview.

-------------- FOOTER TO EH.NET BOOK REVIEW  --------------
EH.Net-Review mailing list