From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
===================== HES POSTING ======================

The interchange between Kevin Quinn and Greg Ransom in regards to Weber
raises the interesting question of where and how the notion of
"value-free" science entered the discipline of economics. Kevin pointed
toward the formulation found in the first chapter of practically every
first-year text as one of Weber's legacies (and implied that the
economist's willingness to suspend judgement regarding individuals'
values was also a debt to Weber). Greg suggested that these themes was
present in the Austrian literature before Weber, and this literature was
more familiar to English-speakers than Weber's. Greg also reminded us of
Hume's dictum, which was integral to the common-sense philosophy
of the Scottish Enlightenment.

I would be interested in any other suggested answers to the question of
where and how the notion of value-free economic came about. To start this
off, here are a couple suggestions of my own:

1. Anthony Waterman has argued that one of the first places the notion of
a value-free economics entered the discipline was in Richard Whately's
_Introductory Lectures on Political Economy_ (delivered in 1831). I quote
from Waterman:

"Against [the tories and romantics] Whately had to demonstrate that
political economy is not in conflict with religion; that its method and
findings are in fact 'value-free'; that its subject matter --wealth-- is
not an evil; and that its principal theoretical achievement (the model of
the self-regulating, market economy) is of service to natural theology. As
against the radicals [utilitarians] he had to show that political economy
by itself can be of no use in public policy formation; that additional
value premises are necessary; that atheism must have as much difficulty in
justifying value premises as religious belief has in accounting for evil;
and that knowledge of the good may come from natural law or scripture, but
cannot be had from utilitarian principles alone." (Waterman, _Revolution,
Economics, and Religion_, 1991, pp. 206-7).

2. My second suggestion is a North American issue which relates to how the
notion of "value-free" science was received. My reading of American
intellectual history has suggested that social scientists of the
Progressive Era and the twentieth century were committed to re-casting
American liberalism in a language stripped of its traditional
individualism and Protestantism. Central to this program was the creation
of a language of science and social control, in which the notion of
value-free science played a central role. So what? Well, Kevin's comment
about the arbitrariness of values is important here, because, unlike the
Whately situation, modern social scientists could not appeal to natural
law and theology. And yet --here is the crucial aspect of what I want to
suggest-- American social scientists did not think of values as arbitrary.
If you read Friedman's methodology essay, Gregg Lewis' remarks in various
places, comments by Arrow and others about social values and economics,
one is impressed by their willingness to assume that everyone ultimately
shares the same values -- the basic values of the "American dream"? --
and that, therefore, the real questions of policy are "positive." Perhaps
the most significant place this theme of "value convergence" (my term)
appears is in the Becker/Stigler essay which is so central to the Chicago
scientific research program. My argument is that twentieth century
American economists have accepted the "value-free" science theme so
readily because they implicitly accepted "value convergence" and the
two themes together go so well with the agenda of recasting American
liberalism in scientific language.

(One of my lingering doubts about the argument just put forward is whether
this is an "American" phenomenon or a "modernist" one. At the present, I
would argue that Canadian economics in the twentieth-century shares a
similar commitment to modernizing liberalism, but that the lack of "value
convergence" in Canada for much of this century has created a different
type of reception for the notion of "value-free" science.)

Ross
Ross B. Emmett                Editor, HES and CIRLA-L
Augustana University College
e-mail: [log in to unmask]