From:
[log in to unmask] (H.W. Plasmeijer)
Date:
========================= HES POSTING =================

Robin Foliet Neill wrote:

> Alternatively, is there a better,
> more available, source on who emigrated from Europe to America,
1930-1945:
> biographies and contribution to Economics?

Harald Hagemann and Claus-Dieter Krohn (the University of Hohenheim,
Stuttgart, Germany) have done a lot of work on the subject. They
published:

Hagemann (ed.), 1997, 'Zur deutschsprachigen
wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen Emigration nach 1933', Marburg
(Metropolis Verlag). This is a collection of papers. A number of
these papers were presented at a conference in Stuttgart in 1991. 9
papers are in English. All German papers are summarized in English.

Hagemann, Krohn (eds.), 1997, 'Biographisches Handbuch der
deutschsprachigen wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen Emigration nach 1933'
(Saur/KVG) I have not seen this biographical dictionary yet,
allthough I have read some of the papers. I know that it must be
rather voluminous.

In 1991 at the conference in Stuttgart Hagemann and Krohn distributed
a "biographisches Gesamtuebersicht". At the time this overview
contained information about 300 refugee economist. Two years ago
Harald told me that the new version mentions 400 or 500 economists.

For more information, and in particular for English sources, you
better contact Harald Hagemann.

Henk W. Plasmeijer

H.W. Plasmeijer
Faculty of Economics                   office:  +31 50 363 37 43
State University of Groningen          secr.:   +31 50 363 37 40
PO Box 800                             fax:     +31 50 363 73 37
9700 AV Groningen                      private: +31 50 313 16 16
The Netherlands