From:
[log in to unmask] (Patrick Gunning)
Date:
==================== HES POSTING ======================

Roy Davidson wrote:

>  It would be interesting to analyze the transition from <b>political
> Could a gradual change in the definition of the discipline explain the
> transition?

Roy, I would answer your question yes, although the "discipline" itself
nevertheless developed in various ways. Let me explain.

One way to characterize the transition from "political economy" to
"economics" is to say that those who made it believed that it was possible
to construct a value-free science. The term "political economy" implied
the making of value jugments, as if the goal of knowing about the economy
was to make policy recommendations. The term "economics" did not have that
connotation. This is pretty clear in Walras' Elements. But to return to
the the U.S., Frank Fetter describes an "advance in thinking" of this type
in his 1914 (mistaken) critique of Davenport.(Fetter, Frank A.,
"Davenport's Competitive Economics," Journal of Political Economy, June,
1914.)

But what happened after professional economists, bye and large, purged
value judgments from their "science?" Economics in the U.S. seems to have
developed along two extremes. On the one extreme, economists sought to
emulate natural science, with hypotheses expressed in precise mathematical
terms and testable through statistical observation and even
experimentation. Fisher and Mitchell were important catalysts. And then
came Keynesianism and Samuelson. Along the other extreme, professional
economists defined economics as a kind of logic of interaction based on
the choice axiom (utility maximization and profit-maximization). In the
early days Hawley, Fetter, and Davenport were promoters of this variant,
albeit they disagreed with each other. As the latter extreme developed
later, it seems to have become incorporated partly into the Chicago and
Virginia (and UCLA) schools which, after Knight, were a mixture of a logic
of choice and the positive-pragamatism suggested by the notion that
economics is like a natural science. Professional economists (who were not
fully enfatuated by the idea of emulating natural science) seem to have
positioned themselves at various places along this continuum. But no
consensus seems to have emerged, even today. The best example of the
extreme logic of choice variant today is the Austrian school, some of whom
seem to completely reject empiricism and mathematical modelling.

If we could agree on an answer to the question "what is economics?,"
perhaps we would be in a better position to deal with the fundamental
issue. But as we have discovered from past discussions on this list,
everyone seems to have his own pet definition. This seems to reflect the
developments that occurred in the profession; so I guess that it is
understandable. In any case, insofar as the transition is concerned, I
suspect that an acceptable way to describe it to modern economists is as a
shift from normative to (a more) positive economics.

        Finally, it is interesting to observe that the _Journal of Political
Economy_ retained its name through all this and that modern Public
Choicers among others are beginning to use the term political economy
again, even though at least many of them have no desire to return to
"normative" economics. Then there are the Marxists, who never abandoned
the term.

-
Pat Gunning
http://www.showtower.com.tw/~gunning/welcome