AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Iona McCraith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 14:03:24 -0500
The message below is reposted without the knowledge of the author.
Some of you list members may aready be aware that the Dupont product known
as Mylar Type D ( recommended by conservators for many years as a suitable
material for encapsulation of historical documents and photos)  is
eventually no longer going to be available. Dupont has ceased production of
this particular polyester film product and once current supplies are sold
there will be no more I understand.  However as the posting below from the
Library of Congress Conservation Division states various people in the
conservation field are already seeking out suitable alternatives.  I'll keep
you posted as I learn of more sources and materials.

Iona McCraith
AAO Preservation Consultant
Bethany, Ontario
Tel: (705) 277-1309