From:
[log in to unmask] (Greg Ransom)
Date:
=============== HES POSTING ========================

Three books in the history of economic thought that I found to be not only
particularly helpful, readable, and insightful -- but also outstanding
pieces of scholarship are:

M. June Flanders, _International Monetary Economics 1870-1960_.

Klaus Hennings, _The Austrian Theory of Value and Capital_.

Frank Machovec, _Perfect Competition and the Transformation
  of Economics_.

My own special focus of research is in the history of the explanatory
strategies of economics & economists.  With this focus in mind, I might
recommend five additional titles.

Deborah Redman's _The Rise of Political Economy as a Science_

Edward Grant, _The Foundations of Modern Science in the Middle Ages_.

Richard Olson, _The Emergence of the Social Sciences, 1642-1792_.

Fritz Ringer, _Max Weber's Methodology: The Unification of the Cultural
and Social Sciences_.

Bruce Caldwell, _Beyond Positivism: Economic Methodology in the Twentieth
Century_.

Greg Ransom
MiraCosta College