From:
[log in to unmask] (Paul Wendt)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

Folks,

Four years ago today, "Welcome Aboard" from History of Economics Society
President Malcolm Rutherford was distributed to the new 'hes' email
distribution list by editor Ross Emmett.  (Following my signature is a
copy of that notice, from our web archive.)

            Happy Birthday to the HES Email List!

When I checked email this afternoon, I found unusually strong evidence
that editor Ross Emmett had been "on the job" during the past 24 hours.
Careful readers of the archive may be able to check his dinner hour or
even his coffee break.

The only surprise was the flurry of contributions from subscribers.
For three of our four years, Ross has been the email editor on duty
fulltime, meaning 52 weeks and 1 day in each year.

                    Thank you, Ross.

----Paul

Paul Wendt, Watertown MA
Asst.editor, HES e-info services

[NOTE: oh yea, the inevitable moderator's note! While the following
message is the first one in the HES archive, it was not the first message
on the HES list. That honor belonged to a "Welcome Aboard" message that
went to the small group of subscribers who had either heard about the
start of HES at the first European Conference on the History of Economics
(Rotterdam, February 1995) or been contacted by Larry Moss and myself.
That first message went out on HES sometime around February 10, 1995.
Unfortunately, I did not realize that the Babson College server, which
was our host at that time, did not archive messages, and I only began to
save the messages on HES on February 17. Hence, Malcolm's message as the
honor of being first in our archive, even if it was not the first on the
list! -- RBE]