From:
J. (J.)
Date:

One other contribution that Allais made, although
it was during the period that Buchanan would have seen
him as having produced something, was the invention/
discovery of the overlapping generations model.  He did
this in his 1947 book, Economie et Interet, published in
Paris by Imprimerie National.  I don't think this book has
ever been translated into English.

Of course, it was Samuelson's independent discovery
in 1958 of this model that set off the wave of such theorizing
in the English language literature.   Allais' work on this is
rarely cited.  It is my perception that Samuelson's paper on
this is probably one of his papers that is still cited at a very
high rate, given the wide prevalence of OLG models.

BTW, I find Buchanan's wisecrack a bit odd.  I know that
when people go up for promotion it is often asked if they have
an ongoing research program.  But, I was unaware that this was
a requirement for receiving a Nobel Prize.  Indeed, especially
in the early years of the Nobel, there were quite a few elderly
recipients whose prize winning work was some time in the
past with their more recent activity at a much reduced level.

I also understand that Allais has expressed support for the
recent "anti-autism" protest in France.  Certainly in France there
is an extreme tradition of "Bourbakism" that emphasizes formal
proof over all other approaches.  Debreu is a leading product
of that tradition that emphasizes that approach.  One can see
it as an extension of the more general Cartesian rationalism
tradition in France that also led to a belief in social engineering
as expressed by Saint Simon, as well as the dirigiste tradition
in economic policymaking.

Barkley Rosser