From:
[log in to unmask] (Patrick Gunning)
Date:

On the issue of how to promote the study of the history of economic
thought, I would suggest that instead of a defensive mode, HESers think
about taking an offensive mode. The questions to be asked, it seems to me,
are these: what courses have replaced history of thought courses? What
arguments are being made that these courses are more important than the
history of thought courses? Are these arguments reasonable? If not, how can
they be rebutted?

One possible answer to the first question is macroeconomics. Another is
econometrics and other quantitative courses.

HESers and others who believe that the history of thought should play a
larger role in econ curricula need intellectual tools to attack those who
would eliminate or marginalize this subject.

Pat Gunning