From:
[log in to unmask] (Peter Boettke)
Date:

I think the best article on this is Kenneth Boulding's "After Samuelson Who
Needs Smith?" for HOPE (1971).

My own view on this is that the terms come from the idea of history as
written by the winners (Whig), and history as written by the losers
(contra-Whig).  The issue of the perspective of the present is addressed
very nicely in Boulding's essay, where he introduces the idea of the
extended present to challenge the Whig interpretation that all that is good
in the ancients is embodied in the teachings of the moderns.

I address some of these issues in my essay Why Read the Classics? available
at: http://www.econlib.org/library/Features/feature2.html

I know some of you will have objections to what I write in that essay, but
I just wanted to put in my two cents following Roy's stimulating comments.
The distinction I like to further draw (following Boulding again) is
between history, and theory construction.  Some scholars use history of
ideas as an input in theoretical construction (consumer of history of
ideas), and others are primarily concerns with writing history (producer of
history of ideas). We read the classics not only because of their value in
itself, but because they are part of our extended present and thus can
improve our theoretical constructions today.  However, I try to make clear
that I know that when doing that people are not producing history, but
instead using history as an input in to their work.

Pete Boettke