From:
[log in to unmask] (E. Roy Weintraub)
Date:

Pat Gunning wrote:
> Mohammad, a field of this type is more likely to be a subdiscipline of
> sociology than a subdiscipline of economics. So far as I know, it has
> no status in economics departments and no economists, as such, would
> be prepared to offer such a course.

Not so. In fact, I offer such a course, Economics 197, Economic Science Studies (see
website at URL below) once or twice a year.

With repect to Robert Leeson's comments, on the sociology of HET, this topic was one
examined at length, in nearly two dozen papers (from the socialization of young workers in
HET, to the reward systems of the HET journals, to the structure of the national
organizations, to separate national traditions in teaching, etc.) in the HOPE 2001
conference volume special supplement to HOPE (and as usual hardback volume published by
Duke University Press). This will appear next Spring as The Future of the History of
Economics, with me as editor.

We aristocratic fat cats work too, after a hard day of serf-flogging.

E. Roy Weintraub
http://www.econ.duke.edu/~erw/erw.homepage.html