From:
[log in to unmask] (Sumitra Shah)
Date:
Apropos John Henry's comments, I too remember the 'siesta theory' in my
development courses  while studying in India and wondered if the Indian
peoples' work habits were not a major culprit in underdevelopment. This was
easy to believe because of the huge civil service bureaucracy which the
British had created and which became a sizable smoke screen for
underemployment. [It was the constant tea breaks in India.] But many of my
Indian professors were very committed to the planning process and modelled
their thoughts on the soviet experience/theories. That created another set
of problems in the decades to come, but it was a noble experiment and gave
India a very different trajectory of growth than many other developing
countries.

Sumitra Shah