From:
[log in to unmask] (Tony Brewer)
Date:
John Henry is surely right to say that the emergence of development
economics is connected to the creation of newly independent states and the
process of decolonization. But his implication that the majority of
development economists wanted to 'contain or defuse national liberation
movements' seems
implausible. I guess that the average development economist, from the 1940s
on, was a bit to the left of the average for economists as a whole. (Has
anyone collected any relevant evidence, I wonder?) The emphasis of much
development economics was on the developmental role of the national state,
and the governments of the newly independent states were a major part of
the market for the products of development economics (along with aid
agencies, donors, etc.).

Incidentally, about the role of the siesta and the like: the success of the
'new south' in the USA is suspiciously correlated with the spread of air
conditioning ...

Tony Brewer ([log in to unmask])