Date:
Third Summer Institute for
the Preservation of the Study of the
History of Economics

Preliminary Schedule

June 7 (Friday) &  June 10 (Monday). Two lectures by Robert Leonard – one on von Neumann
and (perhaps) one on Otto Neurath and the social indicator movement. I  will take time
from worrying about the optimal donut/bagel mix to give a David Levy-Sandra Peart paper
about how economics went from median-based welfare considerations in the time of Adam
Smith and T. R. Malthus to mean-based welfare considerations now. Perhaps I  will be able
to report some  progress on the question “Who are the Pharisees? From Anti-Cant to
AntiSemitism.”

July 12 (Friday) & July 15 (Monday). Two lectures by Sandra Peart – one images of
“parasites” in the opposition to evangelical-economics and one on the Punch illustrations
as illustrations of “chemical political economy.” I’m giving  a lecture on “parasites” in
the Cope’s Tobacco images next week at the University of Liverpool. A CD with the Peart-
Levy book in progress with images is available upon request. (One of the images is half of
Walt Whitman’s  penciled copy of Carlyle’s Shooting Niagara!)

August 7 (Wednesday) & August 9 (Friday). James Buchanan will give a lecture (Wednesday)
on Plato & Adam Smith and the presuppositions of democracy. Sandra Peart will give
lectures on  analytical egalitarianism and the metapolitics of  economics and poetry.

If you are interested in participating in the program, drop a note to me at
[log in to unmask] My George Mason address [log in to unmask] works fine but I’ll have an
easier time picking up AOL mail when I’m in Liverpool.

David Levy