Date:
Susan Feiner write:
<< How can one foster critical thinking if the readings are all from standard
texts?  What is there to critically think about? >>

I think it only fair to say that there are some standard texts that do a pretty good job
of introducing students to economic thought and economic thinking. For example, I've used
both Mankiw's macro principles and his intermediate macro for several years and have found
that it presents a somewhat balanced view of things and, in so doing, gets students
thinking critically about economic fundamentals and issues. He not only presents the
mainstream Keynesian view in all its traditional garb, but his texts also contain chapters
which focus objectively on the work of some outstanding modern economists such as Milton
Friedman. I've found that comparing and contrasting the views of these two schools of
thought does seem to get the desired effect from students.

Chas Anderson