Date:

"Noting the lack of consensus on the causes, depth, and length of the Great
Depression Parker chose to begin the volume" with a chapter overviewing the
decade.

I've also found the lack of consensus amongst second generation Americans
regarding the actual depth and length of the depression to be a bit
surprising. It's all anecdotal, of course, but some older Americans do hold
the view that stories regarding the severity of the downturn are
exaggerations and that, in actuality, things were not as bad then as people
claim they were today. Of course, throwing about "facts" like 25%
unemployment always make for an interesting attention grabber in the
classroom and, of course, talking about Brown's research into the strength
of the vertical shift can add some luster to the time worn Keynesian cross,
nonetheless, it would make things more believable if some research could be
included with all this on how we came up with some of the accepted
traditional "Great Depression" statistics we rely on when discussing this
event. For example, where does the 25% unemployment figure come from?

Chas Anderson