From:
[log in to unmask] (susan feiner)
Date:
Dear David and all: sorry that the URL was out of date for the Kloss. The
issue of critical thinking in our discipline is of terrific interest to me.
 Our standard teaching methods, those called by Bill Becker, "chalk and
talk" work against any significant gains in critical thinking/reading
skills. Again, this claim is supported by a large literature in cognitive
development, intellectual growth.

So when economists turn to teaching texts that require substantial reading
and more sophisticated thinking, it is important to consider the
appropriate pedagogical styles.

There is a huge difference between assigning portions of Smith (or Marx or
Perkins-Gilman) and then
(1) delivering a lecture on what Smith or Marx or Perkins-Gilman really
means
or
(2) working through the texts with the students so that they figure out
what Smith or Marx or Perkins-Gilman was talking about.

In the former case, the best students in the class get an A when they
reproduce the professor's interpretation of the text. In the latter case,
the best students in the class get an A when they can produce an
interpretation, with appropriate textual reference, that makes sense to
them.

Student's will not universally appluad your efforts to help them think on
their own. It is a foreign country to them and they need very clear
directions on how to do this.

Another reference that you may find helpful:  Browne and Keeley, Asking the
Right Questions. Prentice Hall.

This can be used in a standard intro course, if you take the time to spice
the course up with short readings on topics like the environment,
globalization, affirmative action, whatever.  Then have students learn to
apply this framework:

What is the "issue" the author is engaging?
What "conclusion" does the author reach?
What "evidence" is used to support the conclusion?

Our unskilled readers do not read for the structure and logic of argument:
they read for facts!  So teaching them to "to read" means helping them
learn to recognize the components of an argument's structure.

I developed something I call an ICE grid. I find short articles that
address an issue from alternative perspectives.  Then have students,
working in groups fill out a 4 x 2 chart.

Author     ....  Issue .....  Conclusion .... Evidence

Author 1

Author 2

You will be amazed at how difficult they find this.  Even if you take a
perfectly lucid piece of writing from say the NYT OP ED section. Op Ed
pieces are actually very good for this excercise.

Hope this is helpful, Susan

Susan F. Feiner