AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

Sender:
"A forum for discussion for the Archives Assoc. of Ontario" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2008 18:07:33 -0400
Hello;

As a member of this valuable list and also the Webmaster for an ISP
in Eastern Ontario, I am becoming increasingly concerned about the
spam we all receive on a daily basis. As a Webmaster, it is my
responsibility to try to stop spam as much as possible.

If I may make a couple of suggestions to this list, I think that I
will trash fewer emails from the list.

Please make the Subject: line of the email meaningful. A subject line
of "Survey" (all without the quotes) raises everyone's hackles since
we think it is spam and chances are it gets trashed. I almost sent it
to Spamcop, a spam regulator which imposes blacklists of spamming
email on those ISPs who subscribe to it. This will block email from a
spammer's location to an ISP which subscribes.

A Subject line for the same message of say, "AAO Survey developed"
will ensure those who receive it will not be afraid to open it.

Similarly, when sending to a list of people, please make sure that
you use the Bcc: field for the addresses, since this does not allow
all the addresses to show on the face of the email, a definite
privacy issue.

There you go, just a couple of tidbits to make our email lives easier. :-)

Cheers - Ian
Ian Brumell
The Cloyne & District Historical Society