AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

Sender:
"A forum for discussion for the Archives Assoc. of Ontario" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"Jennifer M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 22:15:04 -0400
Hi,
Help! Išm a librarian with only a couple of archives courses under my belt
(12 yrs ago!). Išm hoping someone on this list might help me with a question
I have re: arrangement and provenance.

My great-uncle was a Canadian pilot serving with the RAF during WWII. I am
the lucky recipient of his Œblue trunkš of war memorabilia and would like to
organize the information in proper archival format. The trunk includes:
--diaries, letters, photos, vital records
--ephemera such as ticket stubs, receipts, program guides
--large maps of routings to specified bombing areas
--paper and coin currency, incl Allied Military currency
--a large bag of all the letters he received from his then-girlfriend (now
wife)
--badges, brooches, medals and parts of his uniform

I want to organize the collection in a manner that would be useful to future
researchers, however, there is the issue of Œprovenanceš. For example, some
of the ticket stubs and receipts are located within the pages of the
diaries; my historian background says to put them all together in a file of
Œephemeraš. What to do?

I look at the collection and become overwhelmed! Can anyone give me some
insight as to how to arrange this collection? You may contact me on or
off-list.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jennifer Marcoux, B.A., M.L.I.S.
St. Catharines, ON