AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

Sender:
"A forum for discussion for the Archives Assoc. of Ontario" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:38:27 -0400
7bit
From:
Suzanne Dubeau <[log in to unmask]>
PLEASE EXCUSE CROSS POSTINGS...

Dear Colleagues,

York University Archives is very pleased to announce that electronic
access to our archival finding aids is growing by leaps and bounds.

Thanks to our latest CAIN grant, we have encoded several hundred finding
aids into EAD and XML-compliant instances.  From these instances, we use
XSL style sheets to generate four different types of output for each
finding aid, demonstrating the advantages of standard markup to encode
documents.  The outputs are:  HTML for online access; PDF for hardcopy
printing; MARC records for the university library catalogue which
include the 856 MARC field for the URL link; EAD records for submission
to ARCHEION, the Ontario provincial archival database which is then
uploaded to CAIN, the national archival
database.  To view the results, please visit the following sites:

- ARCHEION at:  http://archeion-aao.fis.utoronto.ca/bsearch.html
- CAIN at:  http://www.cain-rcia.ca/cain/e_home.html
- York's Archives at:
http://www.library.yorku.ca/acs/ArchivesSpecialCollections/FindingAids/FondsRegister.htm

***

This project was made possible - in part or entirely - through the
Canadian Culture Online Program of Canadian Heritage, the National
Archives of Canada and the Canadian Council of Archives.

We thank those national bodies for their support, and those individuals
and departments at York which have assisted us in attaining a goal we
have been working towards since 1996 when EAD first came to Kent's
attention.

Suzanne Dubeau

--
Suzanne Dubeau
Acting University Archivist & Head, Special Collections