AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Linda Chakmak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Chakmak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 18:33:18 -0700
Many thanks to Mary Gladwin for composing the
following article for this year's Silent Auction to be
held at the ACA/AAO Conference Banquet.

One of the high points of recent AAO conference
banquets has been the Silent Auction and this year
will be no exception.  For several years now, we have
been raising money for the Shirley Sprague Education
Fund, a fund that provides bursaries to practising
archivists wishing to pursue archival studies at the
university level.  Although AAO members are invited to
make individual contributions to this fund at any
time, the Silent Auction Committee has taken on this
worthy endeavour as well.  Last year, the auction
raised over $800.00  -all from donated items and
talents.  Let's try to increase that amount this year,
in Kingston!

Last year, we found a variety of treasures laid out on
display in the Banquet Hall at Liuna Station.
Included there were some gift baskets to inspire us to
plan for periods of relaxation: a garden basket filled
with a variety of select imported beer, baskets filled
with fanciful chocolate treats, and unique spa baskets
with carefully chosen creams and soaps. Hand-made
jewellery and framed needlework pieces were also
popular.  A small hand-quilted picnic blanket complete
with a checker set also created a bit of excitement as
participants vied to have their names last on the
bidding list.  I'm sure that other AAO members have
similar talents- baking cookies, making frames, giving
a tour...use your imagination to come up with a talent
that you can share.

If you would like to contribute an item or a service
to the Silent Auction, please contact Linda Chakmak,
the Silent Auction Co-ordinator at
[log in to unmask]  Although items do not have
to be received prior to the conference, it is helpful
to know what will be received and to have an
approximate value.  Even if you're not able to attend
the conference, you can contribute.  Remember, income
tax receipts will be given for all donated items.

Silent auctions are a fun way to fundraise and are the
result of a minimal outlay of time and money.  In the
end, the AAO benefits  - and that means that we will
all benefit!