AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Iona McCraith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Iona McCraith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2008 15:17:55 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Walker" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 10:24 PM
Subject: Conservation and Cleaning of Stuffed Birds and Mammals

> The Grand Erie Education Archives recently acquired from one of our High
> Schools cases of Stuffed Birds and Mammals.  Does anyone have experience
> in how to deal with such an item?

Dan,
I'm responding on list since this is possibly a topic of interest and
concern to other archives and museum/archives institutions.  Such specimens
are common in collections, though as you remark perhaps less so for archival
institutions.

The National Park Service museum section in the USA has two excellent
leaflets that should address your inquiry.  These leaflets are 2 of probably
a couple of 1000 they have written on museum and conservation topics for all
sorts of materials (including many related to typical archival media).
Worth bookmarking the site.

The leaflets are Handling and Care of Dry Bird and Mammal Specimens at
www.nps.gov/history/museum/publications/conserveogram/11-09

and, Labelling Natural History Specimens at
www.nps.gov/history/museum/publications/conserveogram/11-06

One immediate precaution I would give you is to wear latex or nitrile gloves
(not just cotton gloves) if you are handling any specimens predating the
1970's.  These earlier specimens were frequently treated with arsenic or
other toxic pesticides or insecticides during the taxidermy process and even
this much later pose a health risk if touched with bare hands.  Also for the
sake of any specimen it is best to wear gloves so you don't transfer oils
and dirt to the skin, fur or feathers.  If you don't wear gloves than at
least wash hands before and after handling the birds and mammals.

If the specimens are several decades old, and quite possibly not stored in
the best conditions, they could be quite delicate.  Cleaning or handling
them should be done with great care so as not to break of delicate parts or
dislodge feathers or fur.

Hope this and the leaflets answer your questions.  Let me know if further
information is needed.

Iona McCraith
Preservation Consultant
Archives Association of Ontario
Tel: (705) 277-1309     Fax: (705) 277-2091
Email: [log in to unmask]