From:
[log in to unmask] (Avi J. Cohen)
Date:

The inaugural History of Economics Society Workshop on Teaching Undergraduate History of
Economics will be held on July 5-6, 2003, in conjunction with the HES meetings at Duke
University. The workshop will begin Saturday, July 5 at 6pm with a keynote speaker, and
will end with the HES banquet on Sunday, July 6.

The Workshop is being organized by the Society's Committee on Undergraduate Education (Avi
Cohen, Jerry Evensky, Sherry Kasper), which was created out of concern for the future of
the history of economics, given its declining presence in the undergraduate economics
curriculum. Our mandate is to create a one-day workshop for those who teach (or might
consider teaching) undergraduate history of economic thought but who may not attend the
HES meetings. Our target audience is largely liberal arts colleges, where a history of
economics course could be part of a capstone course, writing across the curriculum, great
books, or an interdisciplinary history and philosophy of science approach. We also welcome
interest from faculty at larger universities.

The aim of the workshop is to expose participants to the best practices and practitioners
in the field, and to provide information and resources about teaching the history of
economics that would make it much easier to offer a high-quality (content and pedagogy)
course, or to update an existing course. Ideas and teaching techniques learned in the
workshops also could be introduced elsewhere in the undergraduate curriculum.

Details, registration fees and other information will be posted in the coming months on
the Society website (http://www.eh.net/HE/HisEcSoc/) and on this list.

MOST IMPORTANT: Please pass on this announcement to colleagues who might be interested and
who do not subscribe to the HES List. The workshop will NOT be an exercise in preaching to
the converted, but (hopefully) a valuable resource for those who are not historians of
economics but are intrigued by the idea of teaching a history of thought course.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Avi J. Cohen