Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:19:08 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (Jonathan E Mote)
=================== HES POSTING ===================

I plan to reply to Flavio Comim's editorial, but I first want to relate
a decidedly unserious anecdote to the censorship thread.  I am sure
many of you have heard this before.

The statistician W.S. Gossett published his earlier work on t-distributions
(which focused on quality control at the Guinness brewery) under a
pseudonym because the Guinness brewery was uncomfortable with the
thought of published work on the quality of their beer.  Hence the term
"Student's T" because Gossett published under the pseudonym Student.

My version has been passed down from statistician to statistician, so it has
the flavor of an urban legend.  I'd be interested if anybody has more
substantiated facts to add.

Jonathon E. Mote
Department of Sociology
University of Pennsylvania