Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:19:16 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (Roger Sandilands)
[Thanks to Barkley Rosser who forwarded this email from Roger Sandilands.]

Re Barclay Rosser on the "outrage" that Joan Robinson was never given the Nobel prize,
herewith my Joan Robinson story:

In about 1980 I was driving her home from a talk at Strathclyde University to her
daughter's house (she lives close to me in Glasgow). Laurence Klein had just won the Nobel
prize, and I asked her what she thought of that.

"Very good", she replied, "A very good Keynesian." I then ventured, very nervously, to ask
her if she was not aggrieved at not having been awarded the prize. She looked at me
conspiratorially and, with a wicked twinkle in her clear blue eyes, whispered: "I'd rather
have the grievance!"

About 3 years ago I told this story to the late Franco Modigliani at a dinner party at
Perry Mehrling's summer house on Martha's Vineyard (Franco lived next door). He was
tickled pink. At the end of the evening as Franco and his wife were leaving, Franco took
me to one side and said: "Roger, I have been thinking about what you said, and... on
reflection... I have decided... that I would rather have the prize!"

Roger Sandilands