From:
[log in to unmask] (Colin Danby)
Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:18:45 2006
Thanks!  I can read French slowly, and I've read some of Aujac and
Perroux's work.

I got interested in these people through reading Celso Furtado (a
student of Perroux and Bye') and Juan Noyola, a Mexican economist and
CEPAL colleague of Furtado, who cites Perroux and Aujac.  I have written
a little about Noyola, and argued that the critique of orthodox monetary
theory that Furtado and Noyola made in the 1950s is quite distinct from
what has been described retrospectively as "Latin American
structuralism."  They had a much more institutionalist and politicized
notion of what is going on in the financial system, and I think their
refusal to exogenize policy and government can be traced to the French
thinkers.

Samir Amin, who studied in France in the 1950s, also cites Aujac, Bye',
and Perroux.  But I have not run across them in English-language surveys
of heterodox economics.  So I'm hoping there is some secondary
literature about them -- work that might situate them, give them a
scholarly ancestry, explore their influence.  I'd also like to learn
more about the broader landscape of French economics during the first
half of the 20th century and its relations to developments in other
disciplines.

Best, Colin