From:
Alison Blaiklock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 03:37:54 +1200
We thought that some of you may be interested in our experiences so far at the Sixth Global Conference on Health Promotion in Bangkok.

You can read some of the conference documents at http://www.who.int/healthpromotion/conferences/6gchp/en/index.html

We are deeply appreciative of the many powerful and exciting papers and presentations, the opportunities to meet with others, and the hospitality and thoughtfulness of the Thai Ministry of Public Health.

Version 7 of the Bangkok Charter is to be available tomorrow morning and is to be finalized by the writing group tomorrow night.

Today is the UN Day for Indigenous Peoples. In a plenary discussion this afternoon, Associate-Professor Mihi Ratima (who is here as an invited speaker) quoted today’s speakers who had said that addressing inequalities is a profound political issue based on human rights.

Associate-Professor Ratima said “For indigenous peoples addressing inequalities is more than a question of health, it is about our very survival as indigenous peoples.  In this global health promotion forum we are able to recognize that the price for globalisation has often been paid by indigenous peoples.”

She pointed out that “The Bangkok Charter brings an opportunity to incorporate a rights-based approach which explicitly in the text for action includes the rights of indigenous peoples and the reduction of inequalities between peoples, and to ensure that public health tools such as health impact assessment are based on equity.”

Last night three indigenous public health leaders in New Zealand (Kathrine Clarke who is here at the nomination of IUHPE, Braden Leonard who is one of the new generation of public health workers, and Assoc Professor Ratima) together with Gay Keating (who is here for the World Federation of Public Health Associations) and I discussed what we had been hearing from the speakers and participants.  We identified six key messages from participants’ discussions on Sunday and Monday.

A message to everyone
* Use a rights-based approach, including the rights of indigenous peoples and the reduction of inequalities between peoples, to ensure that the benefits of globalisation are shared fairly.

Messages to WHO
* We strongly support WHO placing very high importance on the determinants of health and reducing inequalities within and between countries.
* We strongly encourage the development of global approaches to a wide range of international governance instruments, ranging from voluntary codes through to national and international law, to address harmful effects of globalisation.
* We strongly support WHO working for the full implementation of rights and environmental treaties,  Millenium Development Goals, Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, and other instruments in collaboration with other UN agencies, governments, intergovernmental organizations and NGOs.

Messages to the health promotion workforce
* We need to advocate for full implementation of international rights and environmental treaties, Millenium Development Goals, Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, and other international agreements that improve health.
* We need to work in global settings and alliances to address the harmful effects of globalisation.

Today Dr Keating and others talked about what they were hearing from speakers and participants about partnerships with the private sector. These were the key messages from participants that they identified.

Messages to corporate organizations
* We want to work with you concerning:
- Investment in the health and safety of employees, and in health promotion with employees, their families and communities.
- Corporate social responsibility.
- Collaboration with public sector health care providers to enhance acces to basic, good quality and affordable health services.

Messages to the health promotion workforce
We need to:
- Work with corporates to foster alliances that enhance health.
- Advocate for health governance that effectively controls corporates whose production processes products or marketing strategies harm health.
- Form transparent, accountable alliances only with corporates whose production processes, products and marketing strategies do not undermine health, to enable the promotion of health.
- Form alliances with philanthropic foundations and donors to promote health.

We wrote these messages down and shared them with many of the participants in the hope that they may be of use in the development of a Charter that we can all use to improve health and reduce inequalities between peoples in the context of a globalising world. We look forward to the new draft tomorrow.

We are also looking forward to the opportunities tomorrow to learn from the extensive Thai experience and expertise in health promotion.

Alison Blaiklock
Executive Director
Health Promotion Forum of New Zealand
Runanga Whakapiki ake i te Hauora o Aotearoa
www.hpforum.org.nz