From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross Emmett)
Date:

A PhD student at Cambridge in history emailed the following query:

I'm interested in Thomas Charles Banfield, who lectured on continental
economists at Cambridge in 1844 (and who often gets remembered for a
subjective theory of value and a hierarchical theory of human wants).
Banfield had apparently been tutor to the sons of Ludwig I of Bavaria &
was when he returned to England in the 1840s concerned to combat
mischievous materialists in England (Ricardo) & on the continent (Louis
Blanc), as well as angling for a job through Peel's patronage (he became
Secretary to the Privy Council in 1846).

Beyond Black's entry on Banfield in the New Palgrave, is there any
secondary literature on him?

Ross Emmett