From:
[log in to unmask] (Kevin Quinn)
Date:

>I don't think that Chastellux's book had any influence on Jefferson. In
>fact the issue of "happiness", public happiness in particular, was very
>popular among French and Italian philosophers and economists (Verri,
>Galiani, Genovesi, Condorcet ...), and was a common theme of (continental)
>Enlightenment. In England, instead, happiness was almost absent (as far as
>I know Chastellux is the only English work on "public happiness"). English
>were interested in "wealth of the Nations", whereas  Latin countries on
>"happiness".

This gives me a chance to ask about something I have not been able to track down. In *On
Revolution*, Hannah Arendt  remarks on Jefferson's "slip of the pen" in the Declaration,
making "pursuit of public happiness"  into "pursuit of happiness."  Is there any evidence
that there was such a change?

Kevin Quinn
Bowling Green State University