From:
[log in to unmask] (Carl Wennerlind)
Date:
SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS
Essays on Hume's Political Economy
Columbia University
May 9-10, 2003

We invite you to submit a paper for presentation at a conference on Hume's
political economy, to be held at Columbia University  (New York City) on
May 9-10, 2003. The paper is to be new and original, and not intended for
publication elsewhere. Routledge has agreed to serve as our publisher and
we are on the verge of signing a contract with them.  Many prominent scholars have already
expressed interest in presenting a paper at the conference, but we would welcome more
submissions.

Some of the topics we hope to cover are Hume on trade and commerce, money and credit,
trust and social capital, economic development, and public finance. Papers that link
Hume's political economy to his other writings or place it in a broader historical context
are also welcome.  We expect to settle on about twelve papers, seven or eight from the
conference, and five or six extant articles on Hume's economics,  so that the volume will
serve as the point of departure for scholarly inquiries into the subject. We will serve as
co-editors, and prepare an introduction to the volume.

A fund from Columbia University allows us to cover the costs of accommodation (3 nights
hotel) and most of the meals for the two days. We are in the process of securing
additional funds for travel, and have some funds already, but if you are able to obtain
them from another granting agency we would be most grateful.

If you are interested in participating, please send us a letter of intent and a one-page
abstract of your paper by December 1st, 2002. The paper that you would submit should be no
more than 30 pages (double-spaced), including notes and references. It is understood that
your essay is more likely to be work-in-progress that would benefit from presentation at
the conference. The bulk of the revisions will come in the 12 months or so after we meet.
This, we believe, gives each contributor a more realistic time frame in which to produce a
significant and polished essay. However, we will ask you to post your paper on a
collective website by April 2003, so that each participant will have read it in advance of
the meeting. After the conference next May, we will ask you to expand and revise the paper
by October 2003, to be sent out for refereeing. Assuming one more round of revisions is
undertaken (if necessary) in response to the refereeing, we expect the final papers to be
ready by May 2004 and the volume to appear by the end of that year.

Margaret Schabas, Philosophy Department
1866 Main Mall E-370
University of British Columbia
Vancouver   BC