From:
[log in to unmask] (Edith Kuiper)
Date:
I share the concerns of Althug. When Ph.D.'s in economics are requested to put their main
focus in being trained to work with and refine 'the tools', wouldn't that it turn them
into mere technicians and engineers? This development is something I already encounter
with a lot of my younger colleagues who do their Ph.D.'s and I consider it waste of
talent.

Edith Kuiper

>From: "Altug Yalcintas" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: HES: QUERY -- Graduate School?
>Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:15:42 EDT
>
>----------------- HES POSTING -----------------
>Professor Roy Weintraub said:
>
>"... All that said, perhaps some still would wish that students be able to
>freely write on any subject of their choice. That kind of educational
>system is not characteristic of any Ph.D. program in any field of which I
>am aware. The reason we have "thesis committees" and "thesis proposals" and
>"thesis defenses" is to fulfill our obligations to scholarship, not freedom
>of belief."
>
>If I am not reading you incorrectly, would this not lock economics into one
>specific path which would eventually make her a victim of undesirable and
>underachieving intellectualism?
>
>Altug YALCINTAS
>Erasmus Institute for Philosophy and Economics
>
>------------ FOOTER TO HES POSTING ------------
>For information, send the message "info HES" to [log in to unmask]

Send instant messages to anyone on your contact list with  MSN Messenger
6.0.  Try it now FREE!  http://msnmessenger-download.com