From:
[log in to unmask] (Sumitra Shah)
Date:
[From the previous thread on Anniversaries which led to this discussion of
the differences between the original 1911 and English translation of 1934.
HB]

        Alain ALCOUFFE wrote:
        "I am not sure that Schumpeter would have agreed that the second edition includes
"substantial changes". He acknowledged in the "vorwort zur zweiten auflage" only some
cuts, simplifications and rewriting - By these changes, Schumpeter intended to help the
reader to focus on the core message of the first edition."

[Sumitra Shah's response]

        This may be a matter of  interpretation. Schumpeter wrote in the preface to the
1934  English edition that the ideas submitted  in it are essentailly the same as the ones
he had worked out by 1909 and:

        "When...I consented, not without reluctance, to a second edition, I omitted the
seventh chapter, rewrote the second and the sixth, and shortened and added here and there.
This was in 1926. The third German edition is merely a reprint of the second, from which
also the present English version has been made."

        There is also the 1937 [I hope I am correct] Japanese edition which gets mention
as an important event. I do not know if the book underwent any changes, but my secondhand
information is that the preface Schumpeter wrote was significant for his explicit
expression of a strong intellectual debt to Walras.

        Sumitra Shah