From:
[log in to unmask] (Peter J. Boettke)
Date:
David is no doubt correct given the existing situation. The advice to
students if they want to do what is currently being done and succeed at it
need to be not only comfortable with doing math (as was the case when I was
in graduate school) but committed to doing the math and speaking in that
language.  On the other hand, very exciting things are going on in the
economics profession among the best and the brightest.  Scholars like
Andrei Shleifer and Avner Greif, let alone Levitt and his crowd,
are transforming the cutting edge of research.  This hasn't translated yet
to the educational track economists take, but it might.  I still hope that
the economics profession can be changed in a direction that conceives of
the discipline in a broader perspective.

At GMU, we are developing tracks for PhD students --- experimental, public
choice, etc.  It is our strategy to build on our strengths as we always
have done.  We only have 28 or so faculty, so we cannot spread out like the
major departments who have 40 or so faculty. We build in areas of our
comparative advantage.  In doing that we focus on training the students
with the tools necessary to be leading contributors in those areas.
Experimentalist need to learn advanced game theory and statistics as well
as lab design -- so they focus on that; public choice guys need to know
econometrics, price theory and public finance and they focus on that.  I am
developing the Philosophy, Politics and Economics track and that focuses on
interdisciplinary work in political economy, methodology and history of
thought. That requires another set of skills.

In addition to my work in PPE (which is advancing the research program of
Hayek and Buchanan), I also am the team leader for a project on economic
development --- applied PPE in some sense.

A little over a year ago I started a project with the Mercatus Center
dealing with international economic development.  We sent teams of
researchers into the field to study the barriers to entrepreneurship and
the logic of interest group politics in these less developed economies.
A web-documentary was made with the team in Romania and it is now available
on line at --
http://www.aworldconnected.org/article.php/579.html

A description of the evolution of this project and the thoughts behind it
is available at:
http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/pboettke/new.html
I am trying to get students interested in learning how to do field research
using anthropological/sociological tools of empirical work and shift that
through the rational choice lens of economics (as one might conceive of
that project in the hands of Buchanan or Hayek).

We will see how the projects works out over time.  The relevance for this
discussion is just how one has to train individuals differently for
different tasks.  Our focus is not on the model and measure exercise of
standard economics, so our students that choose to be involved must instead
focus on language training, take courses in sociology and anthropology and
engage in research seminars with interdisciplinary audiences.

If you are interested, please take a look. I think the web-documentary was
very well done by the film crew and that Pete Leeson and Chris Coyne who
are interviewed do an excellent job of explaining their project and the
problems that Romania faces in attempting to transition to a "normal"
economy.

Comments/criticisms are of course welcome --- the papers from the forums
project that we ran last year are also available on-line at:
http://www.mercatus.org/socialchange/subcategory.php/64.html?menuid=2

Peter J. Boettke
George Mason University