From:
[log in to unmask] (James C.W. Ahiakpor)
Date:
It seems to me that John Womack has taken his view of the benefits of
knowing foreign languages too far in his latest assertion that historians
of thought who can read only English "may not properly understand even the
English they are reading."   Was it because J.M. Keynes could not
understand French or German that he so badly misunderstood what he read
from Alfred Marshall, J.S. Mill, David Ricardo, or Adam Smith regarding the
theory of interest, for example? And was it a handicap of a second language
that caused Boehm-Bawerk to have mangled the meaning of "capital" in the
classical theory of interest, a tradition carried on by his followers such
as F.A. Hayek?

I submit that knowing more languages than one's own may be helpful in
reading work in other languages.  But such facility is quite separate from
the care needed to understand work in any language one is reading. For a
functioning modern economist -- historian of thought or not, I think the
replacement of the second language requirement in the graduate program in
North America with mathematics has been a good thing.

James Ahiakpor