From:
[log in to unmask] (Bögenhold)
Date:
I suggest to refer to Chapter (1), Part (2) "Why Shall We Study the
History of Economics" of  the introduction of  J. A. Schumpeter:
"History of Economic Analysis",1954, where the author provides four
different reasons for "the study of the history of analytical work",
partly without reference to economics, partly with special reference
to economics.

This is by itself a good application of the history of economic thought.

Dieter