From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Thu Jun 19 21:05:58 2008
I wanted to acknowledge and make brief comments on posts regarding
Mises?s contribution to economics. Thanks, all, for the comments.

I had written:
"Mises's goal was to provide a framework for dealing with phenomena that
had previously not been clearly identified as distinct from other
phenomena. That phenomena is interaction among distinctly human actors..."

Jaap Weel wrote: "The difference between "science" and "Wissenschaft"
seems relevant to me here, because it seems that you could make a case
that Misesian economics is a Wissenschaft but not a science."

Jaap, I think you may have a good point. I do not have a command over
German; so I cannot properly evaluate your point authoritatively. So I
take it as accurate. There are instances in some of the translations of
Mises?s earlier works where I think the translator chose words that
later caused confusion. Mises himself translated his HUMAN ACTION and he
chose the word "science." I suspect that this choice caused confusion
mainly because few readers had sufficient command over the different
sciences or academic disciplines to evaluate his claim that economics is
a science in either case. The fundamental question, which I am sure
Mises had to face, was that of distinguishing between science and
non-science and (given your translation) between an "academic
discipline" and a non-academic discipline (or an academic
non-discipline). I have not thought deeply about that. I try to avoid
the problem by defining economics as a branch of praxeology, which I
define as a logical system of deductions based on assumptions
fundamental assumptions about the nature of action and subsidiary
assumptions. Here is something I wrote many years ago on how Mises
defined economics:

http://www.nomadpress.com/gunning/subjecti/workpape/auseceth.htm

John Womack wrote:

"Does Adolph Wagner (1835-1917) count as an economist here? I suppose
the mature Mises did not think so. But see Veblen's review in the
Journal of Political Economy, I, 1 (1892). And was it not Wagner who
made Menger acceptable to the "historical school" (despite Schmoller)?

Anyway, it is certainly true that he distinguished between menschliche
Handeln (human interaction) and wirthschaftliche Handeln (economic
interaction). See for example his Grundlegung der politischen Oekonomie
(1892).

For that matter, the same distinction, already classic for Wagner, see
the preface to Menger's Grundsaetze der Volkswirthschaftslehre (1871),
online thanks to the German Mises website:
http://docs.mises.de/Menger/Menger_Grundsaetze.pdf .

It would be interesting to know how Mises wrote of Handeln and
Handlungen before English translations of his work began to appear, and
how he came to translate Wissenschaft as simply "science," or if he
actually did, and if not, who did."

John, I am not sure that we are writing about the same thing. I agree
that there were many efforts, prior to Mises, to distinguish economic
interaction from non-economic interaction. But I am not aware of any by
economists that attempted to distinguish distinctly human action from
other phenomena (human non-action, non-human behavior) for the purpose
of providing a foundation for economics as the study of distinctly human
action under market economy conditions.

This applies to Gossen, who Mises credited with deriving the method of
tracing the prices of the factors of production back to consumer utility.

I looked at Veblen?s review. His quotations from Wagner show greater
sympathy by Wagner for Menger than I would have expected. On the other
hand, I don?t think that Wagner's statements are sufficiently detailed
to make a good judgment about his appreciation of how to "clearly"
distinguish interaction among distinctly human actors from other
phenomena. To determine the significance of Wagner and Veblen?s desire
for a psychological foundation for economics in relation to Mises, I
would have to look more closely at how they used these terms.

Veblen does show that Wagner?s views are different from those of
Schmoller and other German historicists, which is something that I did
not know.

Thanks again.

Pat Gunning