Date:
Sat Jul 12 08:50:45 2008
Search facilities can help fake erudition.  So go to www.econlib.org > books >
JS Mill, and search each book individually for the word "assumption".  Now you
can use your human judgement and hey presto!!!  [Marx may have accused him of
soulless syncretism (Nachwort to the 2nd edn of Das Kapital)but I love that
prose].

Essays on Some Unsettled Questions of Political Economy
Essay V. On the Definition of Political Economy. in paragraph V.46

In the definition which we have attempted to frame of the science of Political
Economy, we have characterized it as essentially an abstract science, and its
method as the method a priori. Such is undoubtedly its character as it has been
understood and taught by all its most distinguished teachers. It reasons, and,
as we contend, must necessarily reason, from assumptions, not from facts. It is
built upon hypotheses, strictly analogous to those which, under the name of
definitions, are the foundation of the other abstract sciences. Geometry
presupposes an arbitrary definition of a line, "that which has length but not
breadth." Just in the same manner does Political Economy presuppose an
arbitrary definition of man, as a being who invariably does that by which he
may obtain the greatest amount of necessaries, conveniences, and luxuries, with
the smallest quantity of labour and physical self-denial with which they can be
obtained in the existing state of knowledge. It is true that this definition of
man is not formally prefixed to any work on Political Economy, as the
definition of a line is prefixed to Euclid's Elements; and in proportion as by
being so prefixed it would be less in danger of being forgotten, we may see
ground for regret that this is not done. It is proper that what is assumed in
every particular case, should once for all be brought before the mind in its
full extent, by being somewhere formally stated as a general maxim. Now, no one
who is conversant with systematic treatises on Political Economy will question,
that whenever a political economist has shown that, by acting in a particular
manner, a labourer may obviously obtain higher wages, a capitalist larger
profits, or a landlord higher rent, he concludes, as a matter of course, that
they will certainly act in that manner. Political Economy, therefore, reasons
from assumed premises&#65533;from premises which might be totally without foundation
in fact, and which are not pretended to be universally in accordance with it.
The conclusions of Political Economy, consequently, like those of geometry, are
only true, as the common phrase is, in the abstract; that is, they are only
true under certain suppositions, in which none but general causes&#65533;causes common
to the whole class of cases under consideration&#65533;are taken into the account.

Nicholas J. Theocarakis