From:
[log in to unmask] (Alain Alcouffe)
Date:
Fri Aug 8 08:07:47 2008
As I prepared a speech on the future of economists, I was very
interested by the posting around the thread "Nber and HET". I guess that
the content of economics during the  next decades is largely shaped by
the topics, methodology, etc. included in the Phd of the newly recruited
economists by the best universities.. I found very interesting the
research done by Andrew J Oswald and Hilda Ralsmark "Some Evidence on
the Future of Economics" No 841 WARWICK ECONOMIC RESEARCH PAPERS
DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS.

I can scrutinise such  process in my university where a department
(Toulouse school of economics) competes and boasts to be among the bests
but it is not so easy to discover trends or "lines of force" (I mean on
the theoretical level). Clearly the department has been involved in the
post general equilibrium epiphenomenon whereas it always despised
macroeconomics (and history or applied (micro)economics as well ) but
what are the contours of  the new paradigm (if any) now? It seems to me
that the general equilibrium theory is still the canon but its light is
rapidly fading as more and more of its features are removed.

Now just to come back to the way historians write history, let me
mention that the seventh edition of Gide & Rist "A History of Economic
Doctrines" included some developments on Keynes' General Theory. It was
published in 1947 - Keynes was not at this time a "long-dead economist".
In a nutshell, during the last decades, HET has been put aside from
mainstream curriculum, but conversely HET has hardly come to grips with
the mainstream economics.

Alain Alcouffe