From:
[log in to unmask] (Ana Maria A. F. Bianchi)
Date:
====================== HES POSTING ===================

I agree that we should no longer spend much time criticizing Friedman,
and that we should realize that he was talking to practical economists
etc. But, since I am reading Friedman's methodological essay with my
undergraduate students at this moment,I could not resist getting into this discussion
about Hammond's editorial.
Just a few remarks --
1) I deeply agree with Backhouse when he stresses the
rhetorical importance of TAXONOMIES such as the one proposed by
Hammond. I have been thinking about that lately, the importance of
taking strong positions, even if the price of it is taking the risk of
oversimplification. Not only because this attitude leads to academic
success, but also because we learn from controversies, and
controversies are not likely to occur when the conversation is too
'mild', stated in very friendly terms.

2) This is, of course, detrimental to moderate people, who are always
searching for a middle position in a discussion, and who are always
prone to reach an agreement with their opponents.

3) I am sure that McCloskey knows about that.

4) As for Friedman, looking from outside, I think he persistently holds a
kind of 'mainstream mentality', rather than being a Marshallian. This
explains his steady deffense of monetarism.

5) As for taxonomies, we all know that they are convenient for
generalizations, but always run the risk of being unfair in their border
lines.

Ana Maria Bianchi
Universidade de Sao Paulo