From:
Brian Hyndman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 11:17:19 -0500
3 thoughts:

1) Public health workers, for lack of a better term, are not as cohesive a group
as social workers, teachers and others who take more proactive stances against
poverty, homelessness and other health matters. All too often, the ability of
public health to speak out on social policy issues as a unified group is
hindered by turf wars between public health disciplines. Moreover, public health
professionals are not united under strong unions, such as teachers. The public
health workforce is comprised of a mixture of professions --- nurses,
dietitians, health inspectors, health promoters.....represented by different
unions (e.g., in Ontario -- ONA, CUPE, various municipal workers unions) and
associations. This makes it difficult to maintain the level of protection and
autonomy needed for public sector workers to take proactive stances on the
issues that matter.

2) Much more work (along the lines that Dennis and others have initiated) needs
to be done to educate the media and general public about the fact that public
health community is a legitimate and credible source of opinion on social policy
issues. During my stint as  President of the  Ontario Public Health Association,
I had a limited (and I emphasize the word limited) degree of success in raising
awareness of the health impacts of regressive social policies. For example, two
op-ed pieces I wrote about the health impacts of  homelessness and child poverty
were published in the Toronto Star. All too often, however, I experienced
frustration in getting the media to pay any attention whatsoever to OPHA's
stance on these and other issues. It seemed as though the only time they were
interested in speaking to us was when a communicable disease outbreak took place
somewhere.

3) I'm glad to hear that Dennis's workshop generated some interest among
participants at the CPHA conference, but I've come to the sad conclusion that
the majority of public health practitioners know little and care less about the
impact of poverty on health.

Solutions?

--
Brian Hyndman