AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Sharon Larade <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sharon Larade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 17:04:23 -0500
Please excuse cross postings

Things will be great when you're downtown - ACA 2003 in Toronto!

Mark your calendar now to attend the ACA's next annual conference in
Toronto from June 10-14, 2003. We can promise you a stimulating week
given our intriguing theme, What's history got to do with it? Along with
a great roster of speakers ( Terry Cook, Richard Cox, and Tom Nesmith
have confirmed) and events at the conference, Toronto is an outstanding
destination for culture, dining, shopping, and even pub-crawling!
Indeed, Toronto will be yet more special next June, as it will be
hosting a "total" Archives Week, with the Archives Association of
Ontario annual conference immediately preceding the ACA's.

We will follow last year's successful partnership with the provincial
archival association by working in close cooperation with the AAO.
Together we will furnish you with the very best that the archives
community can provide. Another esteemed partner is the Archives of
Ontario, celebrating its 100th Anniversary in 2003. To mark their
Centenary and to bridge our two conferences, the Archives of Ontario
will host a Gala Reception for all conference attendees on Wednesday
June 11, 2003. You will not want to miss this opportunity to
congratulate the AO on its grand accomplishments, and at the same time
schmooze with friends and colleagues at this reception generously
sponsored by the Archives of Ontario.

Victoria University in the University of Toronto will be the location
for our conference, offering a gracious and inspiring setting for a
thought-provoking week. The campus is remarkable for its harmonious
blend of architectural styles: everything from Romanesque Revival to
Modernist, situated on one of the loveliest streets in the city. We have
reserved a large number of economical, air-conditioned, non-smoking
residence rooms for your very comfortable stay. Though the University of
Toronto is the largest university in Canada, its federated universities
like Victoria offer an intimate residential milieu in which to explore
ideas and fellowship. We've partnered with the Delta Chelsea Hotel for
an additional block of rooms and special events.

Vic's downtown location is next to the Royal Ontario Museum, Queen's
Park and subway lines to take you to any destination in the city. Close
to the hustle and bustle, but in a park-like setting, Victoria
University is just steps from the fashionable shopping district of
Yorkville. More than 700 shops, galleries, museums and restaurants can
be found in the 27 blocks of this neighbourhood. Toronto is also home to
a thriving arts and cultural scene with a bustling film industry, a live
theatre community ranked amongst the top three in the English-speaking
world, and dozens of archives - many of them located right downtown!

Watch this website for the detailed program in January 2003.

Sharon Larade & Terry Thompson
Local Arrangements Co-Chairs
http://archivists.ca/conferen/index.htm