From:
Liz Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:02:33 +1300
Hi Steve
It might be worth contacting Karen Witten at the Centre for Social and
Health Outcomes Research and Evaluation (SHORE) Massey University, Auckland
- she has been involved in a GIS related project mapping community
facilities in relation to community environments, participation health and
wellbeing  and may be able to help. Her email is [log in to unmask]
Regards Liz Stewart
Hi Everyone,

>Members of our Health Promotion Team are looking into the relationship
>between the density of fast food outlets, liquor stores and gambling
>premises and the normalisation of lifestyle-related behaviours in certain
>neighbourhoods.  Specifically:
>*       is there a greater concentration of these outlets in low income
>areas
>*       what are the potential public health impacts of high concentrations
>of such outlets
>
>The findings will be mapped using GIS and the results may be used to
>encourage local town planners to consider 'normalisation' when awarding
>licences, building permits etc.
>
>Does anyone have any/know of any research that would support this project?
>
>Thanks for your help,
>
>Steve Shaffelburg
>

>Manager -- Health Promotion
>Toi Te Ora Public Health
>Bay of Plenty District Health Board
>PO Box 241 Whakatane
>07 307-8720
>
>Notice of Legal Status and Confidential Information: This electronic mail
>message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that is
>privileged and CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not the intended recipient you are
>advised that any use, review, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of
>the information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have
>received this document in error, please notify the sender immediately and
>destroy the message.
>
>Send one line: unsubscribe click4hp to: [log in to unmask] to unsubscribe
>See: http://listserv.yorku.ca/archives/click4hp.html to alter your
>subscription

Liz Stewart
Health Promotion Forum of New Zealand/Runanga Whakapiki ake i te Hauora o
Aotearoa
Postal: PO Box 99064, Newmarket, Auckland, New Zealand
Street Address: Level 2/27 Gillies Ave, Newmarket
Ph DDI: 0064-9-520 1713, fax: 0064-9-520 4152
email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.hpforum.org.nz