From:
[log in to unmask] (Roger E. Backhouse [ECONOMICS])
Date:
======================= HES POSTING =================

Roger Middleton, Keith Tribe and I are writing a paper on
quantitative work in the history of economic thought. By
this we mean quantitative analysis of what is going on in
the subject, such as analysing destinations of graduates
from various universities, statistical analysis of
citations and publications. As part of this paper, we would
like to prepare a bibliography of such work. Our view is
that quite a lot of such work has been done, but it is
scattered around many places. One of our aims in the
paper is to list such work, and provide a general
discussions of the possibilities and problems with it. In
addition we are hoping to further a discussion of how
co-operation can be encouraged so that people do not end
up repeating work that has been done by someone else.

We would welcome suggestions of material that should be
included in such a bibliography. If you have written such
papers that we may not know about, or if work of which we
will have seen only a preliminary version has since (or
will be) published, we would like to know about it.

Related to this, does anyone know the source of the
quotation, that we associate with Viner, "Economics is
what economists do"?

Roger Backhouse
Roger E. Backhouse            [log in to unmask]
Department of Economics
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston                     Phone:    0121 414 6655/+44 121 414 6655
Birmingham  B15 2TT UK        Fax:      0121 414 7377/+44 121 414 7377