From:
[log in to unmask] (E. Roy Weintraub)
Date:
======================= HES POSTING =================

> As people prepare syllabi for next year's history of economic thought
> courses, I am sure that many could benefit from suggestions made by
> others. So ....

Next Spring, in a combined graduate/undergraduate class, I will be
assigning  _Belief and Resistence: Dynamics of Contemporary
Intellectual Controversy_ ,  by Barbara Herrnstein Smith (Cambridge:
Harvard University Press paperback, 1997) at the beginning of the
course.

This book takes up the current contests over the
nature and meaning of "truth", "reason" and "objectivity" and
provides an original perspective on issues of relativism and
skepticism, which issues remain central to understanding the
historiography of science, a fortiori the historiography of
economics, at the end of this century.

E. Roy Weintraub, Professor of Economics
Director, Center for Social and Historical Studies of Science
Duke University, Box 90097
Durham, North Carolina 27708-0097

Phone and voicemail: (919) 660-1838
Fax: (919) 684-8974