From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael Perelman)
Date:
==================== HES POSTING ======================

[NOTE: Further contributions to this discussion will be identified with
HES: DISC -- Polanyi. Lynch's comment and this one have been
cross-posted to Eh.Res (the Economic History discussion group) and
comments posted there will be posted back on HES.-- RBE]

Michael P. Lynch wrote:

> Aside from Moses Finley [no small aside], I know of no historian or
> economist who finds Polanyi's thesis credible.

I do.  I know that Dierdre McCloskey was working on a project to debunk
Polanyi.  The question is not whether prices were used.  They were.
Rather, the question is the degree to which prices penetrated the
economy.  Yes, some grain was sold, but what percentage.  I have never
seen any credible evidence to support the notion that the majority of
the economy was a cash-price economy.

Yes, I do agree that the book is a blockbuster that still evokes strong
feelings.
--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department, California State University