From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael Gibbons (GIA))
Date:
==================== HES POSTING ====================

I agree with the Bianchi/Perlman distinction between markets and market
society.  It seems to me that a good part of the political eocnomic
thought of the 18th Century is a discussion of just how far and how
effective markets can be when extended to newer areas of life.  And
Locke's _Second Treatise_ is (among other things) an argument as to why
land should all be enclosed (not common) and therefore commodified and
how labor could justifiablely become a commodity as well.  It also seems
to me that one of THE most important insights of the _Wealth of Nations_
(or claims, if not correct insight) is how efficient economic production
would be if all facets of it were regulated by markets.  Were Locke and
Smith onto something new?  Or were their insights so trivial, that the do
not deserve their place in the  history of political-economic thought?

Michael Gibbons
Dept. of Government and International Affairs
University of South Florida