Date:
=========================== HES POSTING ==================

Although I agree with Perelman's recommendation of 'The Great
Transformation', I object to Polanyi's main thesis. Polanyi (and Perelman)
might be right that there was no market society in ancient times (or, in
Polanyi's own terms, that the economy used to be embedded), but that
doesn't imply that the economy has become disembedded ever since, as
Polanyi argues. The question is if the transformation of the ancient into
the modern economy is so great indeed. It is more convincing to state that
whereas even in ancient times market forces played a role, the
embeddedness of the economy didn't disappear in modern times (as Mark
Granovetters 1985 article suggests): there is no need to argue that even
nowadays, the economy is not isolated from the rest of society. Therefore,
Polanyi's dichotomy embedded-disembedded seems to be too severe, just like
the gemeinschaft-gesellschaft dichotomy that is used by the sociologists
Polanyi refers to (Toennies, Maine) - in that respect, the two dichotomies
are perfectly congruent.

Olav Velthuis
Erasmus University Rotterdam
Faculty of Cultural Studies