From:
[log in to unmask] (John Adams)
Date:
=================== HES POSTING =====================

This is not a reply to a specific comment on Polanyi's work, but a brief
statement about it.  The debate has recognized his critical
contributions to economic history and anthropology but has exhibited as
well some of the principal misreadings.

One should understand that as far as the Great Transformation into
market industrial capitalism is concerned the claim is that a market
system (system of markets) including products and factors (labor, money
(caplital), and habitat (land) had never before existed as the primary
mode of organizing an economy (material provisioning).

Polanyi fully recognized that markets (and money) were historically
common and important (emergence of Athenian grain trade) BUT (large but)
never formed a unified system with a logic (= general equilibrium
analysis) of its own.

The self-regulating market system was an artificial creation as was not
"natural); neither was there an innate tendency to "truck, barter, and
exchange."  The myth of the anti-liberal conspiracy is that governments
and social organizations and associations conspire to "intervene" or
"obstruct" the natural play of self-interest and markets.  In fact,
(Sachs take note) the market system was consciously, ideologically, and
politically constructed.

The ceding of control to the market system of work, money, and habitat
is unsustainable due to countervailing forces of social protection such
as regulation (ICC, FDA) and labor unions and social welfare programs.

The chief substantive contribution is to recognize that in addition to
the market (and market places - e.g. fairs) economic activity and
exchange relations may take the forms of reciprocity, redistribution
(Xmas tree, centralized taxes), and householding (mother feeding
children).

I see a close affinity with Coase and the NIE tradition in IO.  Even for
capitalists markets are a poor way to organize exchange.  I have argued
that the modern corporation is an added type of non-market exchange
system where resources are taken out of the market so that they can be
more effectively managed.

If you look at the modern U.S. economy a great deal of our exchange
takes place outside the market in governments, corporations,
non-profits, and households.  We still have reciprocities within
families, neighborhoods, and localities.

Polanyi was not arguing by the way for a return to community;  in his
chapter, freedom in a complex society, he looks forward to enhanced
social protections with maximal personal liberties in something like the
modern democractic welfare state.

John Adams