From:
[log in to unmask] (Anthony Brewer)
Date:
======================= HES POSTING =================

Reply to Pat Gunning

Pat: I said:
'I do disagree with the idea that the market was consciously
constructed and imposed'

You objected on the grounds that the market is the result of conscious
actions by people trading on the market, etc. (if I understand you
right).

Of course you are right. (Almost) all human action is deliberate and
purposive.

I was, however, replying (without saying so - my fault) to John Adams
who had said :
'the market system was consciously, ideologically, and politically
constructed' and 'The self-regulating market system was an artificial
creation'.

In other words, I was objecting to the idea that the market *as a
system* was planned and imposed on people. It wasn't. I'll qualify that
quickly - there may be cases where the obligation, say, to pay rents in
money obliged people to enter the market when they would not otherwise
have done so. But taken as a whole, the emergence of a system in which
markets were much more important than they had been before was not
something imposed by anyone. It was the unintended result of individual
decisions which had no grand aim in mind.

I can't resist quoting Smith:
A revolution of the greatest importance to the public happiness was in
this manner brought about by two different orders of people who had not
the least intention to serve the public. To gratify the most childish
vanity was the sole motive of the great proprietors. The merchants and
artificers, much less ridiculous, acted merely from a view to their own
interest, and in pursuit of their own pedlar principle of turning a
penny wherever a penny was to be got. Neither of them had either
knowledge or foresight of that great revolution which the folly of the
one, and the industry of the other, was gradually bringing about. (WN
III.iv.17)

The 'great revolution' is, essentially, the replacement of feudal
particularism with a modern 'commercial' society.

Hope this clears up the misunderstanding.
Tony
Tony Brewer ([log in to unmask])
University of Bristol, Department of Economics
8 Woodland Road, Bristol BS8 1TN, England
Phone (+44/0)117 928 8428
Fax (+44/0)117 928 8577