From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael Perelman)
Date:
[Ed. Note:  I agree with Perelman's point below re the need for a new
thread and I am posting responses to this discussion under "Market
Origins."  -- HB]

======================= HES POSTING =================

Anthony Brewer and Pat Gunning are emphasizing the spontaneous origins
of markets.  Mary Schweitzer suggested the importance of a legal
infrastructure to nurture markets.  This discussion has verged off from
the subject of Polanyi, who may have been sympathetic to the idea of
spontaneous origins.  At least, I do not recall him pointing a finger
anybody for "creating" the fictitious markets in land, labor and money.

I would like to see us follow through on this new thread.  We have
already agreed that some people (although we may diaagree about the
proportions) were anxious to break the communitarian (or feudal or
whatever other labels you prefer) traditions and try to enrich
themselves.

How much was their success dependent on the creation of new forms of
state or legal infrastructures, such as Mary discussed?

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 916-898-5321